Monday, October 25, 2004

The incomprehensible language of math

If the status of world mathematics depended on me, we'd still be doing Aristotelian physics in the geocentric spheres model. Granted, no one person ever shattered the old view--it took a good 400 years to get to the understanding of math we've got today, so if I lived back then nobody would expect me to shatter anything--but good grief.

Physics is so frustrating! Theoretically, numbers are the language of the natural world. This means that if you do an experiment in real life and it works, and you have the right equations, the numbers should work out. Theoretically, this is all very cool.

WHY then, when I start doing calculations, do things which ought to equal one another NOT?

I think perhaps I need to go consult a physics grammar book to make sure I'm speaking the language properly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's an excellent variation of the Tychonian geo-centrist model that you might enjoy.... :)

Sun in the middle, earth in the middle... mathematically it's just a matter of perspective, so far as anyone can tell. :) :) :)