Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Peaches

Today I shall extol the excellencies of Weatherford peaches. The farmer's market we stopped at on the way home from Texas was in Weatherford; if ever you happen to pass by that way, I can recommend stopping, too.

I don't have a picture of Weatherford peaches, but here's a detail of their courthouse.

And these are some scarecrows I made friends with at the farmer's market.


In bins quite close to the aboveshown scarecrows, we bought peaches, sunny spheres of sweetness. Aristotle said the sphere is the most perfect shape, and in this case, he's not far wrong. A boxy peach would just be wrong.

These peaches inside are the color of crystallized honey, only brighter. Picture a peridot. Leave it about that tone, but instead of green, color it more like sandstone. Now make it juicy. That's what these peaches are like. And the heart around the pit has these ruby threads coming out from it, like rich embroidery. (Yes...the peach has a stone at its heart, I must confess.)

The taste is as nectar, fully its proper peachiness, but sweeter than usual. But it still has that acidic bite which reminds one that, however close to the Form of the Peach one has ascended, yet Weatherford Peaches are still mortal.

And tonight for dessert this most perfect fruit was sliced and endowed with whipped cream. Yum!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU HAVE A VOTE FOR PEDRO SHIRT!!!!! That so totally rocks. :-) I still can't believe we all liked that movie...

~Twynkletoes

Anonymous said...

Peaches = the definition of delicious. However... I'm not sure about this "most perfect of fruit" business. What about pears, guava, and ugly fruit? (Okay, so I have somewhat tropical taste.)

Pinon Coffee said...

Yup. Napoleon Dynamite is something else, and by all rights someone should have hated it! The soror warned me it was dumb beforehand, and I was in the mood not to expect much, and at the end I was actually defending its literary qualities...

Anonymous said...

While on the subject of peaches, have you ever had peach cider? I had some excellent cider(and excellent peaches) in South Carolina back in June.
--Ben, not 22