Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Marian, Macbeth, and midterms

The Marian has just returned home. She is making her way to the airport, and will soon be in the clouds. My room is emptier than it was.

My Macbeth life is full of heroic thanes who do or do not talk too much, swords, tickets, serious lacks of male leadership (Bales is a good actor), and posters, both paper and "of the sea and land." I can't believe I'm encouraging some of this.

Last night we blocked all of Act I and made some very good progress in interpretation. Having witches in the "come to me, you spirits who tend on mortal thoughts" scene helped Lady Macbeth reach new evil and bossy depths. And when Lady Macbeth was doing her thing, it helped Macbeth do his thing more wimpily. Also, I was so pleased with how my actors had their lines memorized! Guys, keep up the good work!

Meanwhile, I have three midterms and two papers starting tomorrow. I think I shall go work on something. Feel free to pray for me if you get an urge. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for thee, oh most excellent and worthy and wonderful co-directress! Way to keep those thanes in line!

You know Macbeth is going to your brain when:

You use a line from Act I, Scene 3 as an example for the Perrine term "Aside" on your West. Lit. Final. :-)

Pinon Coffee said...

Yeah...I think I cited Macbeth in my Hake midterms too.