Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A fairly normal day

My alarm, as is its wont, woke me up this morning before the sun. Tea and toast, and combs and suchlike, and Daddy and I left for work. It had rained all night and scraps of mist still clung around valleys and mountaintops. We took the secure route, which meant a stop at the guard station to show them a badge (in his case) and photo ID (since I'm a non-badge-holder accompanied by a badge-holder). How many dental receptionists have to go through security checks on their way to work, I wonder? As we passed the non-secure route, the traffic was very, very backed-up. They're redoing the road to pretty much everyone's inconvenience.

Dad dropped me off. I started a pot of coffee, listened to fifteen messages, and opened the curtains. The only messages of any particular interest were about a contested late fee. We let them win.

An early patient was late due to the traffic tangle. Four patients missed appointments, which was extraordinarily bad. They weren't teenagers, but otherwise competent adults. Mondays are hard on us. I called all the patients scheduled for Wednesdays and pulled their charts before lunch, which is about normal. It started raining midmorning.

I spent the afternoon going through the mail. Insurance sent me sheafs and sheafs of paper. Frankly, I didn't want it!

Things got exciting about three when the power went out. It really was a splendid rain; it filled the gutters and half the sidewalk, and if I hadn't been wearing a brand-new pair of khakis, I would have gone puddle-jumping. As it was, I was severely tempted. Oh the glories of an enthusiastic rain!

Daddy came to get me and we dashed down to White Rock. I tried to organize a party for Thursday-I've been meaning to do this all summer and now we're down to the last possible moment--with partial success. See, three of the debate bunch have been in three different college productions of Much Ado. So we need to watch them, right? Well, one guy doesn't have a copy. So we thought we'd watch two versions. But then one of the others is only playable on some obscure media player which none of us have. So that leaves the PHC version. And we will watch it Thursday...if people actually make it. :-)

Then the sister and I went to Bible study. It was the best all summer, I think. We did Ephesians 3, and admittedly kept going off on bunny trails, but in between--we talked about grammar. And other things, but it kept going back to the grammar. Ephesians 3 is indescribably cool anyway, and when you combine it with intelligent discussion--oh, great happiness!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so much fun hearing about your normal days even--and I'm with you on the puddle-jumping! I did a little of that at Candidate Orientation, despite the hostess warning me severely that people got struck by lightning around there all the time...=\

Miss you!

Anonymous said...

so much fun hearing about your normal days even--and I'm with you on the puddle-jumping! I did a little of that at Candidate Orientation, despite the hostess warning me severely that people got struck by lightning around there all the time...=\

Miss you!

Lisa Adams said...

Sounds like a happy day :). Who says you can't go puddle jumping in professional khakis ;)?

Here's to wearing a denim skirt and pink flip-flops to the office ... and we get to wear shorts for RA training! :)

Anonymous said...

::smile::

You should bring gym shorts to work for puddle jumping days.

Do you have an email address you'll be using since they've closed the school email accounts?

~Twynkletoes

Pinon Coffee said...

:-) And then yesterday, it rained even harder than Monday, and it filled up the gutter and half the sidewalk, and I WAS wearing a knee-length skirt and DID puddle-jump over lunch...

Yes, I have got a new email. It's just like my school address, only at gmail.com.