Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Observation

Many of the happiest people I know have a habit of being interested in Things In General. They'll talk to anyone, and find something to be interested in; like Lord Peter, they actually care where their own drains go and about the emotional lives of income-tax collectors; as a result they have a boundless store of random knowledge to discuss; and they're just, well, happy.

In contrast, grumpy people seem to be tightly wound up in their own dismal little worlds, and it's difficult for anything to penetrate the cocoon.

I was reading a be-your-own-private-investigator book, and the author made the point that the two professions in which an interest in Things In General would come in handy were spying and writing. I'll agree with that, but I suspect it's useful in other professions, like anything where you have to interact with other humans. In fact, I could see caring about Things In General as a function of humility. It requires you to ignore yourself for the moment. Hmm...

Does this observation fit with y'all's experience, or do I just know remarkable people? :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know that I love you even though I don't comment. ;-) As to your post...speaking as someone who waffles between both positions, I am happier when I am asking about the history of the viola and the internal workings of a toad from a stranger than when I am wrapped up tight in the little bubble of my own life and trials. I also met some of my best friends this way...like...asking Macbeth about the battle of Thermopylae and so on.

~Lady Ancilla

Pinon Coffee said...

Aww! You know, I wasn't a bit concerned that you loved me, but thanks for saying so. :-)

Yeah... asking Macbeth about military history had a good effect for me, too. But I think my question was on WWI. :-)