Friday, January 30, 2009

What I've been up to

So: we beat the February 1 deadline at work. We (especially Tech) jollied the server into hanging in there, and even got to use the queues again. We all, but especially my team, had been working overtime like crazy people (especially John Who Attends Conferences), and so when we hit the requisite number of claims about Tuesday noon, the energy level at large sort of deflated, whoomf. It's been a very long week since then.

In other news, I've been getting Officially and Properly Hired, and am no longer a lowly temp worker. Not that anyone said so; but thus it was. Less easily got rid of was the insurance from the temp agency, which in a brilliant burst of irony called the very afternoon I'd signed up for the new insurance, and said actually there was a glitch and it isn't my fault but I wasn't signed up for 2009 after all, and did I want to? Well, probably. So I've had to be firm but very charming with two insurances.

It occurs to me that I haven't introduced the characters at work. We have them. John the Conference-Goer is called so to distinguish him from the other Johns in my work life, especially John My Supervisor and John Boatwrong. John the Conference-Goer started the same time I did, and before a meeting we got to talking.

"Have you been to the aquarium in Baltimore?" he asked. I hadn't. Had he? "Well--I hear it's really good, and I've been to it, but I haven't gone in." Why not? "I was just back from a... Conference. And I'd spent all my money on... Goods."

"What Conference?" I asked, innocently. I really was innocent.
"Arcfhmmf," he mumbled.
"What?"
"Arconfmfm."
"WHAT?"
He looked around sheepishly. The room was full of people pretending not to be listening.
"It's an anime conference..."

That's the kind of Goods he'd spent his money on! But he's a good enough sort; friendly; I shared my Christmas cookies with him, and today he offered me his extra egg roll.

He's been working maximum overtime, which is 7 am to 10 pm. That's not civilized. I asked what he's going to do, now the deadline's over. He looked pensive and replied, "Take kung-fu." Apparently he's already signed up.

He likes to wander up to my desk while I'm working.

"Hi."
"Hi."
Pause.
"What's up?"
"Not much."
Another pause.

Usually at this point, one of us will offer a topic, such as fish or movies, and we will actually start conversing. I find this process entertaining. He likes fish, especially in tanks, but eats sushi. I don't ask.

No comments: