Saturday, December 19, 2009

A snow day with a dwarvish breakfast

"'Hey, brothers! A visitor for breakfast.'

"And immediately, mixed with a sizzling sound, there came to Shasta a simply delightful smell. It was one he had never smelled in his life before, but I hope you have. It was, in fact, the smell of bacon and eggs and mushrooms all frying in a pan."

--The Horse and His Boy, Chapter 12, C.S. Lewis

We had a simply delightful smell of that sort this morning: sausage and eggs and mushrooms and tomatoes all frying together in a pan, with apricot-jammed toast. And eggnog lattes.

Jonathan finished his finals last night (yippee!), so naturally we went to the library. The first flakes were just starting. When we came out, it was snowing hard, so we called in our pizza order, stopped at the grocery store for bread and mushrooms and eggnog, and then retrieved our pizza and returned home. By this point it was sticking to the roads and they were quite slippery.

It has been snowing all night, and we woke up to nearly a foot of good fluffy white stuff, just right for packing. The roads are thoroughly cloggy, and it's still coming down. What could be nicer than a dwarvish breakfast to start off a snow day?

As long as we don't have to dig Olwen out for a trip to the hospital, we are all set. :-)

2 comments:

V-Dawg said...

Interestingly enough, that snow was responsible (with a long enough chain of reasoning) for me getting the same kind of breakfast. My flight from Edinburgh to London on Sunday was delayed just long enough to make me miss my connection to New York. Because of the massive east coast snowstorm, JFK had been closed earlier in the day, so all those passengers were clogging up space and I couldn't get another flight until the next day. British Airways gave me a free hotel for the night, and it included free breakfast of the British variety--sausage, bacon, eggs, roast tomato, mushrooms, fruit, etc.
I am now writing this from home; the way things worked out, I only reached home a few hours later than I originally would have with the layover in New York that was scheduled. I am quite happy.

Pinon Coffee said...

That's awesome! And welcome home. :-)