Thursday, July 22, 2010

Slimming my closet

Meggie and I went shopping yesterday with a friend, and I found an adorable blouse. It's tomato red with cream polka dots, short puffed sleeves, and a V-neck with a dainty Peter Pan collar. It looks exactly like a forties or fifties garden party. And it was on really good clearance - even better than the tag claimed. Happiness!

I was especially excited because it qualified as the "cute top I can dress up or down" that was on my List for the fall. Items like "khaki pants" might be hard to find, but at least they're straightforward, but a really great shirt is elusive. What with changing sizes post-Meggie, my small closet, normal wearing-out-as-garments, and just trying to be organized and thrifty, I'm trying to make my wardrobe streamlined and really awesome. I don't want fifty boring sweaters. I want a few perfect pieces so I'll look fabulous at all times!

In that context, I was interested to come across this article in the New York Times about "shopping diets" and the "six items or less" project. Basically, a bunch of people are deciding for one reason or another that they have entirely enough clothes. Some decide not to buy anything for a year, and others want to see if they can wear six items or fewer for a whole month. Not only can they... but their near and dear don't even notice!

I think this is culturally a very healthy impulse. Interestingly, they found that modern clothes don't hold up well under that kind of frequent wear. The lady interviewed mentioned that as a challenge to clothes makers. I'm reminded of Tom Sawyer, whose Sunday best was referred to as his "other clothes," from which you learned the size of his wardrobe.

Readers, do you have a wardrobe plan or fall shopping list? What's on it?

3 comments:

Maggery said...

Okay - so, these songs have come to my attention thanks to the Shakespeare parody play I've been crewing lately. And I just had to share. Let me present to you -

The Macbeth Rap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4cMHnWIR9k

The "Hey, Ophelia" hip-hop song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhVYgNdPJmc

Joy said...

My wardrobe shopping list? Clothes for the boys, because they keep out-growing stuff. Pants for Tom, 'cause he keeps wearing through his dress pants by crawling on the floor with the boys. Only necessities (if anything) for me because I want to be able to buy pretty things for the new house instead. When are you guys coming to see it?!?

Jonathan said...

I hadn't heard about this movement, but it makes me happy.

I have altogether far too many clothes, but I do get into a Franciscan mood every so often and get rid of some. And I try to avoid acquiring more (or else get them for free).

Six items. Hmm... it's a thought....