Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A post just for Marianne


 This is the turquoise summer skirt I finished the other day! It's got the majority of the gathers in the front and back so it lies more smoothly over the hips, like this tutorial recommended.

I refined the pockets on this one by adding a little seam so the pockets go down deeper than the hand-hole. Things tended to fall out of the first version.
This was today's sewing project. I thrifted the coral t-shirt and got that half-yard of polka-dotted fabric at Hobby Lobby the other day. It's essentially a shortened broomstick skirt attached to the bottom of the t-shirt. I threaded a flat ribbon where elastic would normally be and then just sewed the skirt smack onto the t-shirt. I did hemstitch the inside bottom of the shirt to the back of those ruffles to keep it contained. The skirt hasn't been hemmed yet, just zig-zagged, in case I come up with something to lengthen it. The zig-zags will do for now.

Honestly, I'm not particularly pleased with how it turned out. There were some ugly catches in the stitches, and it's going to be short on her. I hope it'll even be able to get over her head - the ruffles don't have much give. I think elastic thread would have been better for this project (if I had any and knew how to use it) and also I should have allocated more fabric to length and less to fullness. Oh well, Meg will look adorable in it anyhow. Probably.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Aw, thanks for posting just for me. :) The skirt's adorable. Now to get a picture of it on you! :) I like the shirt-dress, too. I made one like that for Adrianna, and had the same trouble with getting it over her head. I, too, do not know how to use elastic thread, but it seems that it might help in such cases. But I agree, this one will look adorable on your sweet girl. Nice sewing!