Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy knocking at my window

The rain and wind arrived last night, but we're doing just fine. We went grocery shopping on Saturday night, filled up a jug or two with water, and we're good on matches and candles. I even tracked down my French press and have my camp stove and a couple of Sterno cans in case the power goes and I have a deep need for coffee. I'm thinking we could do the Sterno on our sheltered stairwell, since inside isn't the greatest place. Our friends down the street offered their fireplace and grill in case of more disastrous disaster.

But we don't lose power here that often. Our house seems to be on the same line as the fire and rescue station, so they take care of us. Also, despite the dire warnings, we're pretty deep inland and up on the shoulders of the Blue Ridge Mountains, so I don't anticipate much trouble. I am probably failing to panic properly.

Meg and I are staying home and cleaning house. Jonathan went to work - a whole five minutes' drive away. So please pray for other people, who don't have it so well.

No comments: