Thursday, May 02, 2013

Sam Vimes would be proud

If you saw me this winter, I was probably wearing my brown cowboy boots. Just a guess. They were my birthday present and cost about four times what I would normally spend on a pair of shoes. I wore them everywhere, every day, from church to stomping around in the woods. They were real leather and I conditioned them properly, and when spring rolled around, they still looked practically new.

Compare this to a pair of ankle boots I got while I was expecting Meg. They're cheapy black plastic pleather stuff, a half-size bigger than usual with a gentle wedge and the softest, squishiest footbed ever, so they were perfect. I wore them for about those six months, put them away, and when I got out my maternity wear this spring, noticed the outer layer was peeling everywhere. They're still comfortable, but they look awful.

Terry Pratchett, if you've read his books, calls this the Sam Vimes Principle. Vimes says you can spend $10 a year every year for cheap shoes, or spend $100 up front and get a good pair that will still be going strong ten years later. I think I just proved the principle. I am so buying good boots from now on!

2 comments:

The Minnesotan with the German-Irish Name said...

What did you do for conditioning the boots? I have a nice pair that I haven't treated yet, but I know I should. It's not such a big problem in AZ since it's so dry, but I want to take care of them!

Pinon Coffee said...

I used a bottle of Bick 4 leather conditioner. The boot store recommended it and it seems to work well. Apparently even in VA, the leather drying out is a concern.