Saturday, June 01, 2013

Geek cred: neutral

So, we went to see the new Star Trek movie. I liked it.

I hadn't realized it was a reboot of Wrath of Khan - which was fine, because I haven't seen Wrath of Khan since high school and I've lost a lot of brain cells since then and don't actually remember anything about it except the pink blood when they lost gravity - but when Khan showed up in this version, I shrieked (softly, since it was in the theater), "IT'S DR. WHO!"

Please note, I haven't actually seen Dr. Who. I tried to watch one episode and got halfway through before my laptop overheated and still don't know how it ends. Also, I've only seen one episode of the new Sherlock Holmes.

Khan, incidentally, is not Dr. Who. He is Benedict Cumberbatch, meaning he is Sherlock Holmes and Smaug. The Dr. Who I was thinking of is David Tennant. So yes, my geek cred took a pretty serious nosedive this afternoon. I still maintain that in Khan's trench coat, he looks like Dr. Who. He kind of acted like him too, part of the time, as much as I can tell from my (obviously) vast second-hand Dr. Who experience, except for being a homicidal maniac.

Then I came home and saw the trailer for the new Percy Jackson movie, Sea of Monsters. Hermes is going to be played by Nathan Fillion. When I got to that point, I shrieked, "IT'S NATHAN FILLION!" I was right.  It looks awesome.

So, we have determined that while I'm kind of foggy on Benedict Cumberbatch and David Tennant, I can spot Nathan Fillion at fifty paces. I guess that brings my geek cred for the day about up to neutral.

4 comments:

The Minnesotan with the German-Irish Name said...

Did you see the last Percy Jackson movie? Ben and I are really confused about how they are planning to do the sequel, since they completely changed Book 1 for the movie and didn't set it up at all.

Pinon Coffee said...

We did see the first movie, but it was before I read the books. I would like to see it again. Yeah... I expect they'll change the plot of #2 all around too- "inspired by the works of -" that sort of thing. I wish they would get it right.

V-Dawg said...

The floating blood was Undiscovered Country--I just had to get that off my chest. Also, thanks to general un-excitement from the trailers and Steven Greydanus's review, I didn't bother with this new movie. (Sample quote: "Despite its irreverent humor and some creative twists, it’s so reverentially indebted to canon that it feels like an extended homage, like really good Star Trek alt-universe fan fiction.") I'd rather watch Wrath of Khan again than see something like that.
If you watch Wrath of Khan again, let me know how it compares in more detail.
Speaking of Nathan Fillion, you can see him sooner than Sea of Monsters if you watch Much Ado about Nothing. It opens in New York and L.A. on June 7th, and expands to an indeterminate number of theaters on June 21st. I am hoping it comes close to me, because otherwise I will be burning a lot of gas driving to it.

Jonathan said...

Because my expectations were suitably lowered by bland reviews, I rather enjoyed the new Star Trek (but I also haven't seen Wrath of Kahn since high school).

V-Dawg -- there's said to be a good cheap bus-line running between DC and NYC (probably between respective China Towns?). Trains are also worth checking out. I'll be interested to hear what folks think of Whedon's Much Ado.