Thursday, November 11, 2004

We should do better

I was disappointed to discover graffiti in Nash today. My brothers, this should not be. We are called to love God and one another (for this is all the law and the prophets), and this includes respecting one another’s property. Why else would God prohibit not only theft but even theft’s root, covetousness? The desks in Nash Auditorium belong to the school, and defacing one of them is a sin against the entire school: against one another, and against the staff, and against those who are gracious and give to us.

I am disappointed that nobody called the culprit on it. Presumably someone saw the word being written on the desk; why was it allowed to continue? I also understand that there have been thefts in one of the wings this semester. I don’t know how this is considered okay. It’s laudable to give to those in need, and laudable to forgive the sinner, but it is profoundly unloving to allow sin to reign unchecked in the heart of a brother. We are no longer slaves to sin. If I love you, I will want your good, and you will not find your good in unrighteousness.

Let us call all things by their true names. Graffiti and theft are evils. My brothers and sisters, please let there be found no evil among you.

No comments: