Monday, December 06, 2004

Hail King Jeremiah!

The duel has been finished. The Black Prince Jeremiah and his seconds met with Aaron Gray, his champion the Vagabond, and their seconds. We had a minstrel who kept up a musical background, a holy brother who opened us with "A prayer for a time of conflict" from the Book of Common Prayer, a sword-keeper, and a herald with a sturdy thwacker in case things got out of hand.

I, Lady Carolyn, presided, and the mistress of Llyonesse, the Black Dragon herself, watched from the tower window overlooking the lists. The High Queen was unable to attend, for a church function required her presence. There were, however, plenty of honest witnesses and a number of scoffers and rabble present.

I asked if the challengers still wished to proceed with the duel. They did. I asked if they were both willing to hazard kingship of the realm upon it. They were. Brother Kanary prayed. The herald Bales read the lists of titles of all and sundry (except one who had neglected to send the requisite information), and announced the rules and we gathered around the area marked off for combat.

Just before we actually began, the Black Prince called forward two of his servants to offer a toast to my health and that of the High Queen Sarah Lewis; Mr. Drinkall (that really is his name) poured three glasses, giving one to me, one to the herald, and the third to the Black Prince. The Vagabond was ignored. This seemed discourteous in my eyes, besides the general awkwardness of drinking my own health, so I gave the Vagabond mine. The toast proceeded without further mishap.

At this point I was impressed, for we had strung out the preliminaries for more than twenty minutes.

The duel then began. It was a point-based combat: two for a body hit and one for an arm- or leg-hit. The first combatant to nine would win. The Black Prince, who also happens to be President of the Fencing Club, pulled ahead before the first recess, but the Vagabond caught up in the second round. He suffered a penalty point for stepping outside the boundary, and the Black Prince accidentally struck him on the head (contrary to the rules). Then the Black Prince rallied and defeated the Vagabond with a body hit, bringing him to ten points to the Vagabond's six.

All hail the King, the Black Prince Jeremiah Lorrig!

The Vagabond broke off his connection to the challenging lord, Aaron Gray, as his service to him was complete. The King thereupon restored the lands of Aaron Gray and proclaimed him Archduke.

The audience then shouted for the Vagabond to request a knighting. I knighted him Sir Tobin the Valiant, for patience, the character shown in enduring the burning of his house within the last month, and his valor in combat. I should also have mentioned his steadfastness in enduring mockery from the crowd, but I may have forgotten that. I hadn't written my speech on a parchment, you see, not having known what it would be until I saw how he performed in the duel.

Thereupon Honest Mike the minstrel sang a humorous dirge and we withdrew to the dragons' lounge for tea, cookies, and photos. :-)

If any witness wishes to add to this account of the duel, I would be thrilled to post it. :-) My AIM screen name is SongofBrigadoon. I warn you, however, I expect all whom IM me to identify themselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why, what a good (though short, by medieval standards) chronicle, and in such a good amount of time! My own chronicle is forthcoming...and let it be heretofore remembered that mine will be the "official, annotated version" of said duel. :D :D
-Maggie