Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A study in contrasts

Yesterday:
"We're ready for you!"
"I got back just in time."
"Yeah, you didn't even get a chance to look at your magazine."
"Well, it was about cooking, and I don't cook. But I'd rather do that than this, to be honest."

Today:
"This was the most fun I've had all day!"

As another contrast, I've enjoyed the patients both days. The one quoted from yesterday came in an hour and ten minutes early, looked crestfallen when I told her that, then disappeared to Hallmark. As she left, I very nearly convinced her to take away the fleece jacket that's been hanging in the waiting room since January.

"Well, it's a nice jacket. Oh! It's a medium! Just my size!"

"Try it on!"

She tried it on and modeled it for me and the teenager also waiting. It fit perfectly.

"Well, I've been wanting one to go with these pants..."

"I'm sure nobody would mind you taking it."

"Well, I'd feel funny since it isn't mine... Maybe someone will come in one day and need a jacket." And she resolutely put it back on the hook and fluttered out, agreeing that if it were still there at her six-months appointment, maybe she'd take it then.

Today, I started tallying what the patients do with themselves while waiting.
Sudoku: 1
read a magazine: 4
nothing: 1
read a book: 1

In other news, I'm losing the day's rubber band war.

No comments: