Thursday, June 05, 2008

Kind of a fun morning

It's only 10:00, and it's been quite the morning already. Not bad, just strange.

It started about an hour and a half past schedule, when Daddy woke me up as he was leaving for work. This would be great, except I generally try to leave work at the same time as he does. Whoops! I dress quick like a bunny, like a flash of lightning, and try to get into my car Olwen. Only, the white car in the driveway isn't my car Olwen. It doesn't know me or answer my little button call. It's... what car is that? It's not the Intrepid Peabody. Oh! Right. It's my grandparents' car. Gotcha. So I figure Daddy must have taken Olwen to work today, which he's never done before, but oh well, and I start to go inside for keys to another car, when I find mine parked around the corner on the street. Very good. I now remember that late last night, after the wedding shower, I parked at the outside of the driveway and he must have had to move it in order to get Peabody out. Nice Daddy.

It's a lovely cool wet morning, very pleasant, and I get to work and make a beeline for the coffee pot. The good doctor asks, "Did you see the snow on the mountain this morning?"

Snow? On our mountain?

"Yes, it was snowing as I left for work this morning," he says. "Go outside and look! I've never seen it snow here in June before!"

By George. There was fresh snow on the ski hill--on June 5.

June 5, which is Dad's birthday. And I didn't think to wish him a happy birthday when he woke me up. So I emailed him and remedied that.

I finally got my coffee, and watched Susie work for about an hour, and then headed off to the MVD.

Ah, yes. The MVD. I went there yesterday too, because the day before that I'd gone to put my renewal sticker (good through May 2009) on Olwen's license plate and discovered the numbers didn't match. Yesterday I went to see what could be done about it, and knowing how MVDs work, I took a book. But unfortunately the only book I had in my car was Brothers Karamazov, which I felt bad about carrying in because it looked like a reflection on how long a wait I anticipated! But there wasn't anything to do, since it was all I had, so I read Ivan talking about the Grand Inquisitor while I waited. Anyway, after about half an hour, Andrea told me she couldn't do anything and directed me to the Santa Fe office, armed with a refund request sheet.

I wasn't sure why I was requesting a refund, and didn't know where the Santa Fe office even was, so I did some judicious Googling and called them. I found a real live person, Donna, who told me not to mess with refunds but just go back and ask them to change my number in the computer to match the plate I really have, and print me out a fresh sticker at no charge. Yay!

So this morning I went back. I'd provided myself with an Amelia book and read about her camel troubles. I also read the foreign license plates. There were two with Arabic script, so I puzzled them out. One read "Al-Iraq Baghdad" and had those cool Farsi numerals on it. :-) I got up to the counter and explained Donna's instructions, and the lady said, "What, Andrea didn't do that for you yesterday??" and zip-zip-zip, printed my new registration and sticker. Yay!

While I was out, I dropped by Ruby K's to pick up a cup of coffee and a to-go menu so the office can order takeout on Tuesday, because our supply representative drew us as Office of the Month and will bring us lunch; and then I stopped to get snacks. I went to Daylight for doughnuts first, but they were out, so I got scones from Coffee Booth instead.

Back at the ranch, I discovered that someone (young Joe) had brought a round of breakfast burritos from that haven of burritoey goodness, Chili Works. Food does that around here; it comes in bunches. Did I mention this office has really good eating?

AND Lisa-here-at-work talked her husband into letting her drive their new sportscar to work, so we went out and admired it. It's very blue and very fast. How fun!

So that was my morning, consisting of a birthday, a delinquent alarm, four breakfast places, the DMV, some coffee, several cars, and very little work. Kind of fun.

No comments: