Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving and Christmas

We had a lovely Thanksgiving! My sweet sister invited us all over to her place, so we went and spent the weekend. Her cooking was magnificent. We even ventured out shopping to a small neighbor town for Black Friday and hit the antique mall and a little clothes store with some deep clearance.

It was supposed to be a 10 1/2 hour drive... Google doesn't know what it's talking about. It was more like 13 1/2. But the advantage to Very Slow and Mountainous West Virginia roads is that there's no traffic on them. (Nobody else wants to go 25 mph down cliffs in winter either.) Meg did really well on the drive, too, and we had dramatic snow, fog, rain, etc, which I did not get pictures of. But I could have. Jonathan wants to tell all my blog readers, if you ever get the urge to drive Highway 50 through WV, don't.

We got some disappointing news last week. Jonathan's boss broke the news that they don't have enough business to keep him on staff any more, and as of the end of this week he's going to be unemployed. He's been making contacts and sending out applications, but if anyone knows a firm around here who wants a new lawyer, by all means let us know. He is licensed for Virginia and good to go. The main thing you can do for us, really, is pray. I'm not nearly as worried as I could be because God keeps sending us jobs in the nick of time. He's taken care of us for the past three years, and He's hardly likely to abandon us now.

Today I rearranged the furniture to make room for the tree and got out our Christmas decorations. That would be exciting, but I'm still kind of disjointed. I wanted to get out the Christmas music when it snowed a month ago, but I was strong and didn't. Only now it's still warm outside and I can't quite make the transition mentally from fall oranges to Christmasy reds, either in the decor or my clothes. BUT. The tree is snugly set up in a corner by the couch, and it's lit and ornamented. So there.

3 comments:

Maggery said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that! I hope Jonathan finds something soon! And I hope the weather will soon cooperate with the season so you can welcome in Advent!

Jonathan said...

It's okay, Christmas doesn't start for another three-and-a-half weeks, you have time to prepare. :-)

(Sorry, us extra-liturgical types get snippish about Advent, I guess.... Seriously, though, hearing secular Christmas music in a store the other day just kind of bothered me. Very strange, since Christmas remains one of my favorite times of the year. I just have learned to love Advent, and don't like the consumerist Christmas-shopping-season creeping in and taking over everything after Halloween. Grumpy old man that I am. ;-) )

Happy Thanksgiving, Advent, and Christmas!

Marianne said...

Still praying for a job for Jonathan and for blessings on you all!