Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Meg's room makeover

Meg and I have spent the last few days redoing her room. The furniture is all catch-as-catch can and it's just a mess. Her nursery in Richmond was darling with pink and chocolate, but the decor didn't actually fit her room here. Now I'm going with white, gold, and hot pink, with leopard-spotted accents. So far I've changed out her art from pale pink to leopard mats, and Bismarck of course is there looking gold and stately. I think she needs another shelf, a toy bin, a grown-up sized chair, a kid-sized chair, and maybe a shelf and a little table. We've spent the last few days combing the thrift stores, consignment stores, Craigslist, Wal-Mart, Target, and the grocery store for suitable furniture and whatnots. 

The grocery store was actually for groceries, though I'd have bought a truly fabulous shelf there if they'd had one. They didn't. But I discovered Wegman's carries mead. !!!

Ahem. Today we went to the Blue Ridge Hospice thrift store in Purcellville, which was actually pretty thrilling. I'd never been before, though people keep recommending it. I see why. They had a copy of The Ordinary Princess for a quarter - do you have any idea how rare those are?? -- and some ruby glass teacups, which I was strong and did not buy because I had an armful of toddler, toddler jacket, and tiny rocking chair.

Yes, they had furniture for Meg's room! The rocking chair is homemade and the wood is unfinished, so I brought it home and spent the afternoon sanding it and hammering the nails in properly. Meg spent the rest of the afternoon carrying it around, putting stuffed animals in it, and climbing on it to see over the counter. I think I'll paint it white, or possibly gold. I am not going to do like a previous owner of something I saw today, and embellish it with leopard duct tape. Just, no.

Then this evening I bought a leather Moroccan ottoman (pouf! pouf!) off Amazon. An ottoman isn't technically a grown-up seat, but it's close. And I've been wanting one for a year. It'll be cute in there, and when we get tired of leopards and hot pink, it'll be cute somewhere else.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

You must know what I am going to say... Sounds delightful and I would love to see pictures. :)

Jonathan said...

I've found several good books at the P-ville Hospice Thrift Store. :-) Good discovery, that place.