Friday, February 04, 2005

"Ianthe to Landor": third edition

Perhaps our faithful loves entwine like fire.
Perhaps your poems remember all my best,
My youth and beauty, summer manifest.
But even if such star-strewn songs inspire
All earthbound men to read your verse beyond
Your grave, I still will grieve and die. What life
Can mortal words bestow? Temporal strife
And fame will fail when earth and sky pass on.

In death, Annihilation flees from me.
If he should chase you where Atlantis went
(Oh, time-drowned love!), I’ll breathe, protected by
Divine eternal immortality.
When fusion fire in time-soaked suns is spent,
This brilliant Love will blaze across the sky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's really good (and much better than the original version).

You should write more poetry. And submit that one to Stylus.

I should learn to edit my stuff....

- Firinnteine