Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Home

I made it home from school. Packing was not exactly a success; I'd been trying to get it all done, but come Sunday morning, stuff was still everywhere. With the most kind assistance of Megan, soror mea, Kirsten (who was trying to check me out of the dorm before she missed church), and Judah, everything got put away, clean, and to the storage unit.

We printed directions--Judah drove us to BWI (thank you!)--we were in plenty of time for the flight--and home we went.

So now I'm in the process of readjusting to New Mexico. It's incredibly green. My hair doesn't know what to do without humidity!

I am less than thrilled with contemporary philosophy, particularly as exemplified by Episode One, which I just rewatched. Dude. It is an impressively bad film with a budget far too high for its own good. It mindlessly lauds peace and justice while the Jedi and Queen break laws and do silly things up one side and down the other. There's a verging-on-blasphemous virgin birth by the Force and Anakin as some kind of perverted Christ figure. The race scene is about five times as long as would be cinematically effective. Meanwhile, inept droids get blown up. As I recall, Episode Two was worse because it had all the philosophical problems plus a poorly designed and executed "love" story. I can only hope Episode Three is better; just now I'm unconvinced. If George Lucas hasn't got the worldview for true movies, he hasn't got it, and that's about all there is to it, unless God is merciful and he hits something good by accident.

I'm unpacked. I have been reading Dante. I was driven to it by Episode One, though I was in the middle of it anyway. I have also been reading Charles Williams, Dorothy Sayers on heresy and orthodoxy, "Fellowship of the Ring" for my discussion group, and grammars of Old English. My wonderful mother bought me another of the latter from a used book store. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude. I am so jealous that you are studying Old English grammar. And I am supposed to be the one who now has time for it! :-) Well, at least I wrote a paper on OE poetry, so there.

Miss you already, and looking forward to welcoming you back to sunny (and humid) VA in the fall.

~ Sarah L.

Praelucor said...

Jonathan, you're one of the few people I know who would have a blog and not post anything on it. For shame! Sarah, did I actually "hear" you use such awful slang as "dude"? Shocking! And most of all, Domina, welcome home! May your white cat be in a purring mood, and may your weeds pull easy. It IS nice to be back to domesticity, isn't it?

Brooks Lampe said...

I just discovered the poem you left on Diapsalmata about Travis and I: thanks. :-)

Pinon Coffee said...

Firinnteine, having re-watched Episode II, I agree. I have decided the reason it so aroused my wrath was because of that foolish, half-baked, illegal-according-to-the-vows-HE-took "relationship" culminating in marriage, irritating government theory, and also because of the bad philosophy. However, it has redeeming qualities and manages to be a quasi-decent film.

Episode III is good.

Ruhamah, it is good to hear from you! In truth, I am glad you have a blog (and check ours). I still glow at the thought. Alas, I have been distracted of late from Old English by...well, Star Wars, Judah, and a badly-overdue library book on the Norman Conquest. But things are settling down again. :-)

It's good to hear from you too, Brooks. :-D

<:3 )-----