Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Discoveries in Shakespeare

Upon sitting down to read a Shakespeare play for a paper, I made a sad discovery. I've been a lit major so long I'm almost incapable of reading without a pencil in hand.


In other news, I'd forgotten how witty Romeo and Juliet is. Behold.

Benvolio: What sadness lengthens Romeo's hours?

Romeo: Not having that, which having makes them short.

Benvolio: In love?

Romeo: Out--

Benvolio: Of love?

Romeo: Out of her favor, where I am in love.

Benvolio: Alas, that love, so gentle in his view,
Should be so tyramnous and rough in proof!

Romeo: Alas, that love, whose view is muffled still,
Should, without eyes, see pathways to his will!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I understand -- I just saw a delightful performance of "Romeo and Juliet" in Stratford last Thursday.

I really enjoy reading your blog, and look forward to meeting you, whether here or hereafter.

-- a friend of Ruhamah's from Oxford

Pinon Coffee said...

I am very glad you do! I love getting comments from friends of friends--rather friendly-like.

I shall see you someday. :-)