Saturday, June 17, 2006

Cars (the movie)

So. I just got back from watching Cars. The blogosphere--or at least the portions I just checked--has been discussing pork and music, but not Cars, and I think this ought to be changed. It's definitely worth talking about. I can't quite remember the complicated Haunt of Macbeth rating system I dreamed up last March and I don't feel like rummaging through my archives just now to find it, but I'll do something like it.

3 bloody daggers: there was no actual blood or violence, except an occasional car turning over, but there was tension. I got emotionally involved about three minutes into it.

7 warm fuzzies: oh, where to begin?? It was Pixar being its usual brilliant and self-aware self. (The credits were hilarious.) There was plot--not terribly original, but well-handled. There was characterization. The Main Point was actually one worth making. Cars was genuinely funny, as opposed to being filled with stupidity and immaturity being passed as humor. It was made by people who knew whereof they were moviemaking.

But perhaps best of all, I liked it because it made me love America, especially the west. You may remember a certain conversation this spring when I was asking if there were any movies that did that; this qualifies. I now love the west, cars, Route 66, small towns named Radiator Springs, big bright stars, racing, and neon lights better than I have ever loved them before. I think this is an accomplishment, especially about the neon lights.

9 comments:

sarah said...

I think Derby was talking about Cars on his blog. I took my little sisters to see the movie on Thursday evening, and I liked it as well. My favorite part is the tractor-tipping. :D :D

Lisa Adams said...

I want to see it :). I keep hearing about it on the country music radio.

Anonymous said...

I just saw Cars with Kanary and Holcomb yesterday. I agree with your assessment. There were also a lot of nice little touches in the movie--a Corvette C1 paint job for the new Lightning, a demonstration of power-sliding on dirt tracks, a Michael Schumacher Ferrari, an H2 afraid to go off road, etc. And I liked the fact that Lightning stayed with his orginal sponsors; I knew that his actions in the race would give him a new sponsorship offer (standard "virtue rewarded" plot device), but Pixar didn't just do the usual.
Ben G.

Nathan said...

Ooh, I want to see it. Did you know that much of it was inspired by a trip to Oklahoma?

Pinon Coffee said...

Thanks, Sarah. I'll have to look that up. :-)

Thacia, you totally need to see it! You'll like the tractor-tipping too. :-)

Ben G--good point. I hadn't analyzed it quite like that, but it was a standard plot device, and they did spiff it up rather. Lightning really did develop through the movie.

I liked the insects that hovered around lights. They were VW bugs with wings!!!

Pinon Coffee said...

Nathan--

I believe it. It was very Oklahoma. It was the whole west, really.

Campeador said...

Heh - Ben would know about the paint job. Dad brought up the same point.

And yes... my life-long dream of a road trip across the U.S. has now only intensified. How could anyone ever call it "fly-over country?"

Anonymous said...

I did not expect to like it at all, but when I got to the end and not only cared but felt that I had learned stuff (like reading a good book), I know it was good.

Jeremiah

Pinon Coffee said...

Yup. Cars is a worthy addition to our cultural literature. :-)