Tuesday, November 28, 2006

At the library used book store

The scene: me and an elderly man rummaging through the quarter and free carts, respectively.

A noise came from the direction of the library proper. Chunk...chunk...chunk.

He said, "I can hear ya comin.'"
The lady with her cane: "Well, at least I am comin.' I can hardly believe something which I just heard in there."
He said, "What did you just hear in there which you can hardly believe?"

She chunked a few paces closer and stopped by the free cart. "The librarian in there who had never heard the riddle of the Sphinx. A librarian! The riddle of the Sphinx!"

He replied, "I don't know the riddle of the Sphinx."
She replied, "Oh, yes you do."

I wandered into the used book store proper and left the conversation. But just before it faded entirely from my hearing:
"Look what I found. A book on how to pick your rest home."
She laughed. "Well, you don't need that!"
He asked, "How long do you suppose it'll be before we need it?"
She said, "Oh, someday we will..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may not know what the riddle of the Sphynx is, but I bet Wikipedia knows.

Campeador said...

That's quite an appropriate story, in a rather surreal sense.