Monday, January 14, 2008

Espresso maker


I got a new espresso maker for Christmas, but as I had first a cold and then company for the next couple weeks, I didn't break it out of the packaging until last Friday. That was fun--opening it felt like Christmas all over again.

I was very good and read all the instructions before I used it. It's one of those fancy ones where you put water in the boiler and it uses part of it for the espresso, and then you turn a knob and it turns the rest of it into steam for foaming your milk. Yummy!

So I made espresso, switched the knob, foamed my milk, and had steam left. So I figured I'd just make more espresso. I turned back the knob, turned away...

...and it exploded. Coffee grounds went everywhere. Milk, froth, and steam went everywhere. The grounds-basket, I believe, had actually come unscrewed, and spewed its contents.

Whoops.

I made coffee Saturday, and even foamed my milk, but left the espresso strictly alone.

But then Sunday afternoon rolled around, and I felt the need to conquer. It's just too humiliating to fear your own espresso maker. So I attempted the mystery, but waited too long and wound up with too much espresso and hardly any foam at all. Sigh. I tried a third time, and then it worked. No explosion, and enough and to spare of the steam. Yay!

1 comment:

Whitney said...

That's the same machine Daniel has. And he's had pretty much 100% bad luck with it...hope it works better for you. Of course, you can probably tell the difference between sugar and salt, especially when you're making coffee for company. That made for a pretty funny night.