Wednesday, March 07, 2012

New rug - time to redecorate around it

I'm pleased to introduce you to my new living room carpet! It was a freebie that Jenny picked up, but she ended up not needing it because it was so huge. Our husbands kindly delivered here it over the weekend.

As you can see, it's pretty huge. We previously had separate rugs for the living room and dining room halves, and I was happy with that, but I think having one rug makes the room look bigger. I also like the the way it covers up more of the underlying beige carpet. That's important.

However, if you look closely, the rug is pink and blue, and the rest of my living room is red and gold. And green. The wall art is pretty congenial, since it has blues in it, but then I looked at the striped couch, and I looked at the Persian patterned rug, and I looked at the bold-patterned chair. I don't think they like each other very much. The red couch pillows are especially not good.

Long term, I do want to reupholster the couch and chair, but no way am I doing that in a rented apartment to match a free carpet.

I already had a quilt for the coffee table, which helped. I think that if I could find pinkish-coral throw pillows, that would make the couch seem more neutral. The rug and couch at least have similarly muted palettes. I checked all the usual suspect stores for ready-made pillows, but nothing turned up. Now I'm going to shop in the cloth napkin department for good color and try to sew shams.

I take this as a challenge.

No comments: