Saturday, January 07, 2012

Black and white and covered all over

My poor armchair really did need reupholstering. I wasn't just making it up about needing a staple gun. This is the chair a neighbor in Richmond was throwing away and I rescued. It's turned out to be the most amazing, comfortable, sturdy recliner, and I love it. I painted it black and got Ikea fabric to re-cover the seat and lower back cushion, and it's looked pretty good ever since.

Unfortunately, the upholstery tacks worked great on the seat cushion but not so much on the upper part. The hardwood of the frame is so tough and so awkward to get at, I couldn't really hammer the tacks in, so the fabric was dangling by one corner for a while. Not attractive. Then it spent a while longer as in a rumpled pile in the back of the seat. Er.

Yesterday I gave up on perfect and used safety pins. They aren't particularly obvious unless you're look for them, and they hold the fabric in place beautifully. Nice chair.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Fun project. No one will notice the safety pins!